Your cart is empty.
Customer Reviews

What Type Of Bumper Do I Have

Written by hitchweb Team
Thursday, December 1, 2011 — 1 Comment

The type of bumper your vehicle has can affect what trailer hitches will fit. When looking for a trailer hitch for a pickup truck, you will usually be asked what type of bumper you have on your vehicle. Below are the five common types of bumpers your vehicle could have.

Bumper Types

Deep Drop Bumper - Typically found on older trucks, usually chrome plated and has a lower ball height than a step bumper. This bumper is also known as a Cowboy Bumper, and the drop from the bottom of the frame is commonly 10 or 12 inches.

Regular Bumper - Standard Bumper found on a typical vehicle. No step under the licence plate.

Tube Bumper -  Have a 17” rear opening allowing the use of oversized tires (up to 31”) on the factory spare tire mount. This type of bumper is typically found on Jeeps.

Roll Pan Bumper - A roll pan is a replacement for a bumper that hides the bumper and makes it look like a rounded bottom to the rear of the truck. The trailer hitch will sit in the middle, behind the bumper.

Step Bumper - Typically found on trucks, vans and SUVs. This bumper has holes for hitch balls and can be used to tow lightweight trailers. There will be a cut out under the licence plate that acts like a step.

Posted in Towing 101


Lewis Phinney
Monday, April 29, 2013

Good lesson material made even better with pictures.

— You must be logged in to submit comments.